Check the Event page for more details.
June Cannon Showcase
Summer of Music with Make Music In Abingdon
We are back again with a summer of events.
Monthly showcase events will take place at the Loose Cannon Taproom on the 3rd Thursday of every month. These provide an opportunity for local performers to showcase their original or unusual covers to an attentive audience, and for local live music lovers to experience some new music. Doors open at 7:30pm with first act starting soon after, so please arrive early to catch all the performers. Entrance is free, but donations are encouraged to cover the expenses involved in putting on these events. Reservations can be made via the Loose Cannon Taproom web site.
The first event is on 21st April and features:
- Hogerswolf : Andy Hogger writes original folklore prog rock inspired songs. His second EP “Catrice & The Others Than They Are” is being launched on 29th April.
- Alcon Blue : Brand new 4-piece funk/rock band, serving up soulful song-lead originals
- Firegazer : Original alternative folk. Or in the words of Oxford’s Nightshift magazine “Dark inventive folk”. They have just released a new album New Beginnings which you can find on Spotify
More information will be coming soon about the future dates including Make Music Day on June 21st which will include workshops and performances in the afternoon and gigs in the evening at various venues around town.
Note that acts listed on the poster above are subject to change.
Remember also that Abingdon has a good live music scene
- Live music up to 4 times a week at the Old Anchor including open mics, showcases and good local bands and solo performers.
- The Brewery Tap has live music every Saturday evening from 9pm and Sundays from 5pm featuring all kinds of styles and genres
- Northcourt Music at Abingdon Football club which has top tribute acts and more.
- Music at the Unicorn which has a program including some of the UK’s top mainly folk based performers.
- Other venues include Nags Head (most Friday evenings), Kings Head & Bell (most Saturday evenings), Tipsy Mercer (most Saturday evenings) and occasional gigs at Royal British Legion, Spread Eagle, Broad Face, White Horse.
Your Music Showcase #5
Our first showcase of 2020 has three local Oxfordshire acts on the bill, and we look forward to an afternoon with The Factory Lights, Danny Mellin and Sarah Derrick.
Free entry. Donations welcome.
There is a bar/café.
Meet the first artist:
Sarah Derrick Music is a 24 year old singer-songwriter making waves performing around Oxfordshire. Her combination of vocals and percussive guitar take influence from pop, R’n’B, soul and country which she blends to create a unique and infectious sound. You can expect powerful, passionate vocals, meaningful and frank lyricism, and melodies that you will be replaying in your head long after she is finished.
Listen to Sarah’s latest single here: https://open.spotify.com/album/0qfrtG2hMseuoOEQBygBIy…
Our second performer on Sunday:
Young singer/songwriter Danny Mellin hails from Oxfordshire and started writing music at a very young age, releasing his first song ‘Without You’ at just 14 years old. Delivered with a strong vocal, Danny’s songs range from acoustic ballads to melodic indie pop anthems full of youthful energy.
Listen to some of Danny’s music here: https://open.spotify.com/album/3yvY2nIvYPSSGmWCANXMCD
Finishing off on Sunday: The Factory Lights
The Factory Lights is a spin off project by Ant Kelly (The Shapes) singing soft gentle songs about life on the Cowley Road and Growing Older. They released an EP in 2015 titled The Old School Wall and are now recording their debut album.
Listen to The Old School Wall here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcZl1R3lGXc